Astrology: magic in the air
Reading Time: 4 minutes
By: Janette Dalgliesh – Confluence Daily is your daily news source for women in the know.
Happy (magical) Mercury Retrograde in Scorpio!
The next three weeks sees the messenger of the gods diving into our deepest hidden layers to reveal and help us release that which is no longer necessary or useful.
And now … there’s more!
Saturn is moving into his third sextile with Neptune this year, forming a 60º angle with the lord of the ocean.
The sextile is like the trine, a supportive angle where two planets can work together to create something really special.
Saturn sextile Neptune is not an everyday event.
This is the third for 2019 (the others were in January and June), but prior to that the most recent Saturn sextile Neptune was in 1995.
You may find things from January or June this year, or from 1995, coming back for a new perspective and a reframe.
Why does this sextile shout MAGIC so loud? Because when we get the blend of dreamy mysticism and hard-nosed pragmatism right, we go beyond the ordinary and the everyday.
Saturn is the curator of our life mission – practical, hard-headed, ambitious, he wants to milk every drop of the day-by-day experience, as we build our careers and our public legacy. Currently in his own sign of Capricorn, and forming the Saturn-Pluto convergence, he’s in full-on ‘build it strong and robust’ mode right now. Saturn loves achievement and a to-do list with clear steps and plans, and he can feel like an unforgiving taskmaster with the pressure to Get It Right.
Neptune is the curator of our relationship with all-that-is, the realm of dreams and the non-physical – imaginative, wild, unfettered, he fills us with a yearning to reconnect fully to the unconscious collective, often expressed as a desire to be ‘of service’ (whatever that means to you). Currently in his own sign of Pisces, Neptune is expert at the art of surrender, urging us to lose ourselves through meditation and good books (excellent choices), or at the bottom of a bottle of Scotch (possible not so healthy).
With the sextile, these radically different energies come together in a dance.
Sometimes one partner leads, sometimes the other, but the aim is for them to move together in each other’s embrace, travelling across the dance floor in a beautiful collaboration, always heading in the same direction.
It’s our job to ensure both partners are present in a harmonious balance.
Neptune, left alone, knows how to be deeply connected to all-that-is, and how to dream and imagine and surrender; but nothing gets done, the bills don’t get paid and the cat doesn’t get fed.
Saturn, on his own, cares deeply about achievement, and all the jobs get done with rigid mastery; but without a deeper purpose, the work itself becomes grey and miserable and unsustainable.
We need both Neptune’s capacity for magic, mysticism and the spiritual; and Saturn’s capacity for pragmatism, logistics and tangible results.
Think about magic (however you define ‘magic’ – conscious creation, ritual or ceremonial magic, prayer, etc)
One partner in the dance of magic is the non-tangible – meditation, intentions, imaginative acts such as visualising, relationships with non-physical entities such as deities, angels, spirits and ancestors.
The other partner is the practical – candles, incense, images, offerings, prayers, blessings, spells.
Finding our own sweet spot, walking that dual path between Saturn and Neptune – that’s not just an important skill to learn in life generally.
Right now it’s a powerful wave we can all surf, in support of the Mercury Rx in Scorpio dynamic.
Here are some strategies you might like to consider:
- Practice lucid dreaming, keep a dream journal, and weave the wisdom of your dreams into your concrete plans
- Lean in to your own spiritual practices as a way to help inform practical choices
- Before taking action, pause to tap in to your feelings of connection to all-that-is, your sense of being an unlimited, eternal and powerful non-physical being; and then take the action
- For an overactive or judgemental Saturn – check out my old-but-good radio episode on Reimagined Radio
- If you’re feeling uncertain how to manage the Neptune/Saturn dance, create an altar for them to share. Light a candle to ignite the magic. Bring offerings of salt water (for Neptune) and a pretty rock found in the wild (for Saturn). Ask for help with finding your own sweet spot and the most harmonious balance between the two, then let it go and respectfully blow out the candle. Expect to get some ‘aha’ moments while doing mundane things like folding laundry
- For Pisces people – look to your boundaries and remember they enable the stable platform from which you can launch your rockets of service and connection into the universe
- For Capricorn people – remember you’re not only the pragmatic Saturn; you are the mythical sea-goat with its tail in the ocean – embrace the dual nature already within you
And of course, it’s also time to celebrate the entry of Venus into Sagittarius.
A whole new optimistic vibe comes into play, inspiring a new take on beauty, love and relationships.
The key, as always with Jupiter-ruled Sagittarius, is to allow. No holding back, and also no pushing before things are ready.
Enjoy the magic!
Exact times (US Eastern timezone):
- 1 November, 4:25 PM Venus enters Sagittarius
- 8 November 9:46 PM Saturn sextile Neptune
Janette Dalgliesh has a simple mission in life – to wreak more joy in the world. A keen student of astrology, brain science and Law of Attraction, she serves her people through astrology consults, coaching, teaching and writing. If you’d like Janette’s in-depth insights into your own unique astrological chart, you can find her via Facebook, or at her website Resonant Joy.